Saturday, November 16, 2013

{skinnier} lemon blueberry scones


"The fastest cake in the world," as my dad says. Scone. Or as the British pronounce it, with the e silent, "scon." Get it? Like, "it's gone?" Haha. ha. ha.



Anyways! Scones were probably the first breakfast pastry I learned to make by myself, I think I made them for the first time when I was 10 or 11. It's surprising how easily they come together- don't be intimidated by them! They're way easier than you think and super versatile.


The most popular scone is undoubtedly the blueberry scone- my version also has lemon to give it a bit of a kick. The hardest part of making scones is probably cutting in the butter to make sure your scone has a buttery but crumbly texture. Of course I couldn't find my pastry cutter while I was making these, so I used a knife and fork. And ten minutes later while they were in the oven.....I found the pastry cutter sitting right where I looked before. Like, what.



This recipe was adapted from Cookie and Kate, the changes that I made include adding in different types of flours and also increasing the amount of flour- I don't know why, but the proportions seemed off and the dough was way too wet when I set to work with it, I ended up adding in about 1/4 cup more of flour than the recipe called for. Scone dough should not be wet or super sticky- it should be semi-dry on the outside, and able to hold shape. You should be able to knead it easily without it sticking to your hands too much. Like this:


Enjoy these on a Saturday morning with a cup of coffee, tea, or whatever else ya like. Just enjoy them, k?


Happy baking! -G

Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate
  • 1 cup oat flour
  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (plus more as needed)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling on top (you can use coconut sugar to make this a clean recipe)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
  • zest of one lemon
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 cup plain low fat Greek yogurt (I used 0% fat yogurt by Fage, I'm sure regular yogurt would be fine too)
  • 1/2 cup low nonfat milk
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. Combine flours, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and whisk together. To make oat flour: Grind 1 cup rolled oats in a food processor or Vitamix-type blender until a floury texture is achieved (around 40 seconds.) If there are still little grainy bits, sift the flour before using. This makes about 1 cup of oat flour.
  3. Cube cold butter and drop into dry ingredients. If you have a pastry cutter, use it to cut the butter into the flour. If you don’t have a pastry cutter, use a knife and fork to cut the butter into tiny pieces and mix it into the flour until you have coarse crumbs.
  4. Add blueberries and lemon zest and gently stir. You can use frozen blueberries, no thawing necessary.
  5. Gently mix in milk and yogurt. Eventually you’ll need to use your hands to knead the last of the flour into the dough. If the dough is too wet (according to my directions in the post,) add in more whole wheat pastry flour until desired texture is achieved. I had to add in an extra 1/4 cup. 
  6. Form dough into a circle about that’s about an inch deep all around. Cut the circle into 8 slices.
  7. Separate slices and place on a baking sheet covered in lightly greased parchment paper.
  8. Sprinkle the tops of the scones with a bit of sugar.
  9. Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown.

1 comment :

  1. "Lemon blueberry scones" recipes are healthy and easy to cook. This one delicious acetic recipe will make my frozen oyster recipes more crispy and crunchy after being grilled at the same temperature of scones.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10