Sunday, October 27, 2013

Garlic Avocado Salad


Let me start off by saying that this salad was not my idea. A friend of the family makes this salad every Friday night for dinner, and it is without a doubt the best salad I've ever eaten. Now, I'm talking about his salad. My recreation is simply that- a recreation. For the real deal, you have to have that salad, made by him on a Friday night.


Nonetheless, this salad is still incredible. The flavor, the texture, the smell, everything about it is perfect. It makes a great lunch, dinner, or side salad paired with any entree. It is crisp, flavorful, and so garlic-y that you'll need a mint, or two, or three after eating it. But the stench is worth it. 


I used a mortar and pestle to break down the garlic, but you could also chop or mince it very finely. Oh, and if you're wondering, I did get a new camera. Today. And it is my baby. It took me a while, but I finally decided to invest in a DSLR and it has made a world of a difference. 


Due to the cold weather here lately, there haven't been a lot of organic avocados, which makes me sad. BUT, I was able to find two perfect ones at the store. I am savoring them, which is why this recipe only uses a quarter of an avocado. It doesn't sacrifice taste though, this recipe is perfectly balanced.


The ingredients used here are simple and delicious. And that's all they need to be. 


Enjoy and have a lovely Sunday!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chopped romaine
  • 1/4 ripe avocado
  • 1/4 tomato
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • Pepper to taste
Chop romaine, avocado, and tomato. Use a mortar and pestle to grind garlic, then add in olive oil and balsamic and combine. Place romaine in bowl and top with avocado and garlic mixture. Use a fork and knife to smother the lettuce with garlic and avocado, and then toss. Top with tomato and peppers and enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment

01 09 10